POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm back : Re: I'm back Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm back
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 16 Oct 2007 14:05:00
Message: <4714fd4c@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

>> Well, as I say, this is now about the 5th time I've been told to shut up.
>

>    From what I can see, you're mixing with the big boys there Andrew. If you
> have faith in what you can say and do with Haskell, then back it up and
> front them with it. "Stick it to 'em Cap'n Mainwaring!"
>
>    Those guys probably know eachother and go back a long way, (even with
> other languages), and then along comes the new kid on the block. Think about
> it for a while.  ;)

In this instance, the problem seems to be that I stepped on somebody's
favourit branch of mathematics. (I made statements that could be
construed as implying that category theory is incomprehensible and/or
pointless. What I was *actually* trying to say is that you don't need to
be an expert in category theory to use Haskell...) I also posted an
evaluation tree that contained a minor technical error (I mixed up a
left-fold and a right-fold). So I got flamed to hell.

Interestingly, after I left somebody else piped up with "you're picking
on HIM?? That's insane! He's one of the few non-PhDs who's actually
interested in the language and you have a go at him. And people wonder
why nobody uses Haskell..."

Maybe I'll resubscribe. There's some stuff I need answers to. But I'll
have to make a habit of not saying *anything* other than questions and
answers - because I'm really tired of being flamed every single damn
time I speak...